IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Guests, read this to find out why you can't see most topics any more.

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> GB Terminology
pf4ugc4
post Mar 27 2009, 10:34 AM
Post #1

Wooden Hammer
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 847

IGN: ugc4
Guild: PF4
Main: nak

Gunbound Terminology

This is an effort to define gunbound terminology (words that apply to the game). More especifically, I would like to address certain words that apply to this game are used very loosely, and even create new terminology to use in gb. You don't have to take my word for it, but this is what i understand from years of playing the game.

words related to the game:

Formula- This should be the first word discussed because it sets the parameters for the other terms. A formula is a rule or principle, frequently expressed in algebraic symbols (directly from www.dictionary.com). In other words, a formula is an equation that does not change. Example: wind.0 + wind.number x wind.chart.factor = new.angle . this is a formula, it translates into "multiply the wind by the wind chart factor, and add it to your base angle". get it? a formula is not a wind chart, a formula is the "code" (if you will) with which to crack that wind chart. Now, if a formula is an equation, 70 3.0 = 1sd is also an equation; therefore, something as simple as memorizing that 70 3.0 = 1sd IS A FORMULA. This is because both examples (wind0 x ... as well as 70 3.0=1sd) essentially aid the player at estimating a new shot. Therefore, they are no different. The following statement is void: "I am a feel player because i only use memorized shots to do new shots."

Wind Chart- A circle divided in 8 parts reminiscent of the gunbound wind circle, that includes factors that will indicate how to adjust a basic wind 0 shot to a certain winds. Wind charts may include up to 64 wind directions in total.

Feel- Certainly the most debated word of all. The word FEEL really originated at the very beginning of gunbound gaming, from korean gb. The word attempts to explain the relationship between the mouse and the hand--literally. With Feel, the hand moves the mouse until it feels right. In all honestly, FEEL = GUESSING. If you say you play by feel, that literally means you guess every shot! whether that guessing is blind or educated, thats something else. Perhaps we can agree to use the word FEEL as a replacement of EDUCATED GUESSING. But FEEL is (in its most literal form) by no means related to MEMORIZING. Saying that you used feel from a 70 3.0 shot is NOT FEEL!

words related to the player:

Strategy- A strategy is a deviced plan of how to operate in a particular game. A player or a team should start the game with an already-deviced strategy. Example, if you play a serious 1vs1, a strategy might be "ok first turn i will dual, second turn i will SS, third turn i will dual", or if you are the captain of a 3vs3 team, you must go into the game thinking "ok this game we are going to kill them at the same time." A strategy is not something you device during the game, that's an unprepared change of plans and that is bad.

Accuracy- precision. This has to do with how precise a player is. Saying "I can hit 9/10 times" does not mean you are accurate because hitting or missing a shot depends on how complicated or intricate that specific shot is. Using formulas may increase your accuracy. Accuracy has nothing to do with the other qualities of a player.

Speed- The velocity with which a player moves, aims, and shoots. Speed is very dependent on the mobility qualities of each mobile (i.e. boomer moves fast, turtle moves slow). Regardless, speed takes a lot of practice, much like accuracy. However, speed has nothing to do with accuracy. You can hit nothing an entire game and still considered to be a fast player.
**Players should try to find their balance of accuracy and speed. Accuracy and speed trade off each other; you cant have a 10 : 10 ratio of accuracy and speed. Each player must decide their own ratio.**

Consistency- Consistency has a more broad definition. One, being consistent means that if you hit a target in turn #1, you should be able to hit that same target in turn #10; hitting one time and missing the other means you got lucky, or that you are just not consistent. Two, being consistent means that all your shots should have about the same accuracy; you can't hit an "omg ns" and then "lol wtf was that?". this does not mean you can't miss, but a consistent player is he who does not get lucky in terms of accuracy. This aspect of consistency also applies to the other qualities of a player, speed and strategy. Third, consistent can also mean a player's ability to control the power bar; he who slips or overslices/underslices often cannot be considered consistent--even though it is a simple mistake it can cost entire games.

new words:

MACROMANAGEMENT (Macro) - economics term used to describe production management at a large scale. This is commonly applied in games like starcraft, but it can also be applied to gb. Macromanagement can refer to the overall management of a team, in 3vs3 for example. Having a boomer as your first-turner is good macromanagement, having a jd as your last-turner is bad macromanagement. In addition, macromanagement can refer to a player's or a team's knowledge of who/what/how. For example, if your team wants to same time, good macromanagement would be to have your boomer player shoot the ice opponent, you ice player player shoot the boomer opponent, and your nak player shoot the armor opponent. Get it? Macromanagement = knowledge of the large-scale details

MICROMANAGEMENT (Micro) - economics term used to describe production management at a small scale. This is commonly applied in games like starcraft, but it can also be applied to gb. Micromanagement is an individual player's management of small-scale situations. Hiding, moving ontop of one opponent to avoid being shot by another (I call this taking hostage), deciding to F8 instead of dualing like a madman, this is good micro. Respawning at a dangerous spot and dying quickly, shooting from one spot and one spot only without ever moving at all, bad delay management, this is poor micro. Micromanagement = individual in-game decisions that will benefit you, mainly concerned, but not limited to, having good delay decisions.

Taking Hostage - Micromanagement move that an individual player can do in proximity to an opponent to avoid being shot at by another opponent. This move essentially requires good delay judgement as well as speed to really make it work.

First-Turner - a First-turner is not simply a player that happens to go first. A first-turner is a player who is good at being the first turn player in a team based on decisions, precision, and speed. A first-turner must know who to shoot from the waiting room.
(I could develop on Second-Turner, Third-Turner, and even Fourth-Turner, if anyone would like me to)

already existing but not taken into account by most players:

Waiting Room - the "noob get ready" stage previous to a game. In the waiting room, you can check for ranks in the opposing team, this will tell you the opposite team's shooting order. from there, you can figure out who to shoot and what strategy you will device for that game. Some of you may say "oh cmon everyone knows that" but I am sure none of you do. So take this more into account when you host a room or hop around.

Loading Room - the "omg lag" stage previous to a game. In the loading room, 3 great things are revealed to you. 1- positions, so you should immediately think who you will shoot based on map positions. 2- distance, so you should have a relative idea of at least the wind 0 shots for who you will need to shoot. 3- any changes to your already-deviced strategy due to difficult positions or whatever, you should make those decisions right then and there, at the Loading Room.

notice that none of the excuse words were included: Slipping, overslicing/underslicing, etc. Let's not use excuses :)

Post here any other words that you may want to add, or that you want to discuss further. Thank you. My emphasis is on macro/micro. Input appreciated.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ProfessorPap
post Mar 27 2009, 11:13 AM
Post #2

Take that, you silly ox.
Group Icon

Group: Retired Staff
Member No.: 12

hello, mister pf4... something.
i have no idea how to pronounce your name but then i don't remember all the droid names from star wars, either.

anyway, interesting post.

QUOTE(pf4ugc4 @ Mar 27 2009, 12:34 PM) *

Feel- Certainly the most debated word of all. The word FEEL really originated at the very beginning of gunbound gaming, from korean gb. The word attempts to explain the relationship between the mouse and the hand--literally. With Feel, the hand moves the mouse until it feels right. In all honestly, FEEL = GUESSING. If you say you play by feel, that literally means you guess every shot! whether that guessing is blind or educated, thats something else. Perhaps we can agree to use the word FEEL as a replacement of EDUCATED GUESSING. But FEEL is (in its most literal form) by no means related to MEMORIZING. Saying that you used feel from a 70 3.0 shot is NOT FEEL!

you're assuming that the player is using drag.

and i wouldn't call many drag players "feel players" because even if they don't use 'formulas', most of them do use distance-power marks.
and the ones who don't use distance-power marks still have a visual indicator (the power bar) that over time they'll probably memorise and use to play back their shots. is that still called "feel"? i never thought so.

at the very least there should be a distinction made between drag feel players and slice feel players.
slice feel players play GB in arguably the hardest way possible- having to use timing for all their shots. no visual indicators to help them remember their shots- more of a game within a game based on coordination.
+Quote Post
pf4ugc4
post Mar 27 2009, 12:04 PM
Post #3

Wooden Hammer
Group Icon

oh, no, i didn't mean to make a distinction when i said "feel the mouse". it was more of a metaphor of how the power increases in the power bar (like the player is one with the red moving power). drag players or slice players could both be feel players. i dont really understand why you say slice players have a harder time, slice and drag really make no difference as far as feel is concerned. slice or drag only make a difference in speed (and accuracy considering ass shots). not in feel or formula play.

my main point is. 70 3.0 , 81 full , 32 2.5 , all those are formulas. simple formulas (a = b). just like [ wind0 + (wind# x factor x distance.factor) ] is a formula, a more complex formula.
memorizing that 75 3.0 lands at the 3.0 mark on your power bar is also a formula. none of these things can be considered feel. feel is pure and most complex relationship with the mouse/space bar, that, as the power increases in the in-game power bar, the player tacitly knows which power is appropiate.

in essence, i am arguing that just about all players (except for complete noobs) are formula players. noobs are the only ones who guess every shot (educated or not, its true). "pros" dont, because guessing is not always the most reliable method to hit your opponent. simple or complex formulas are. So, unless u guess every shot, thou shall not brand yourself as a feel player. emot-aaa.gif this is not to say that feel is noob! it is simply an extinct method of play. thats my point of view.
+Quote Post
xDemonessx
post Mar 27 2009, 04:27 PM
Post #4

NOPE
Group Icon

Group: Red Dragon
Member No.: 48
Guild: NEET
Main: TROLL

Clan: None

i agree with what you said about feel, but what do you call people who use those formulas but guess on wind and power adjustments? im one of the people that knows landmarks from angles 60-80 using varying powers from 2.2-4.0 (unless they are close range). i know bjsl, and basically can pick an angle and power at random and connect with most bots in 0 wind. i rarely measure, and i never rely on my math skills to help me formulate wind or power adjustments.

so basically, what i think can be said about some players is that they form in 0 wind and feel/form in higher winds. Because of what you said about FEEL having nothing to do with memorization, i would not term this method of play under it. However, i wouldnt call it formulating either. I think that the landmarking method brings the gameplay of gunbound to its roots in thors hammer, not a lot of people remember how much "looser" the angle adjustments where and how different the UI and feel of the game was. even so landmarking can still be applied to the new game play. People who play with this style are actually easy to pick out as well, because you can tell their shots airtime rarely changes unless its over 1 screen. This is the way ive always played, and i honestly gained a "feel" for most winds even though i dont have the factor memorized.

Im not even sure the amount of people who play this way, but im sure its common enough among experienced and casual veterans.

--------------------
IPB Image
PSA: WE HAVE A CHATROOM @ IRC.RIZON.NET #GBHQ
USE IT
IPB Image
+Quote Post
ProfessorPap
post Mar 27 2009, 06:14 PM
Post #5

Take that, you silly ox.
Group Icon

Group: Retired Staff
Member No.: 12

QUOTE(pf4ugc4 @ Mar 27 2009, 02:04 PM) *

oh, no, i didn't mean to make a distinction when i said "feel the mouse". it was more of a metaphor of how the power increases in the power bar (like the player is one with the red moving power). drag players or slice players could both be feel players. i dont really understand why you say slice players have a harder time, slice and drag really make no difference as far as feel is concerned. slice or drag only make a difference in speed (and accuracy considering ass shots). not in feel or formula play.

my main point is. 70 3.0 , 81 full , 32 2.5 , all those are formulas. simple formulas (a = b). just like [ wind0 + (wind# x factor x distance.factor) ] is a formula, a more complex formula.
memorizing that 75 3.0 lands at the 3.0 mark on your power bar is also a formula. none of these things can be considered feel. feel is pure and most complex relationship with the mouse/space bar, that, as the power increases in the in-game power bar, the player tacitly knows which power is appropiate.

in essence, i am arguing that just about all players (except for complete noobs) are formula players. noobs are the only ones who guess every shot (educated or not, its true). "pros" dont, because guessing is not always the most reliable method to hit your opponent. simple or complex formulas are. So, unless u guess every shot, thou shall not brand yourself as a feel player. emot-aaa.gif this is not to say that feel is noob! it is simply an extinct method of play. thats my point of view.

*sigh*

well, on the positive side, nobody is holding a gun to my head and forcing me to waste my time arguing about a game i no longer play. :)

rock on...
+Quote Post
pf4ugc4
post Mar 27 2009, 06:55 PM
Post #6

Wooden Hammer
Group Icon

oO professorpap if i didnt answer your question feel free to explain further. what i understood from your response is that drag players can't feel but slice players can, and my response was that whether u drag or slice, that has nothing to do with whether you formulate or feel. a drag player can use the third power bar to memorize 75 3.0, but a slice player can do the same oO? so i dont get what u were gettin at. the only difference between dragging or slicing is really speed and accuracy, not method of play.

demoness, that was exactly my argument. take this example: one player plays all his games only knowing that 70 3.0 is 1sd, nothing else. another player uses complex formulas (70 +/- wind x factor). I make no distinction between these players, because both use formulas. whether the first player uses basic formulas, and the second player uses more advanced formulas, that is irrelevant. so like i said before, in this sense, most people (that we see in forums like this one for example) are formula players, even if they dont have 100 windcharts printed next to them as they play, just by knowing that 70 3.0 is 1sd. get it? so the only distinction that can between those kinds of players is the extent to which they formulate. i did not include such distinction in the initial post, but i suppose you could simply say "i am a basic-formula user" or "i am a advanced-formula user"; i understand the first statement sounds more demeaning than saying "i am a feel player" but its not necessarily a bad thing, its just not right to say you're a feel player if you know even the most basic types of formula (wind 0 landmarks).

to be honest, this is an attempt to eradicate the "formula is for noobs" rubish, because we all use formulas (those people im sure know that 70 3.0 = 1sd for armor) so they are formula players themselves. like i said before, feel is extinct except in players that dont even know basic landmark formulas.
+Quote Post
PUTOOOOO
post Mar 28 2009, 12:25 AM
Post #7

Red Dragon
Group Icon

Member No.: 543

IGN: PUTOOOOO
Main: TURTLE

soooo since I use tracing method and powerfeel method what does that consider me?

--------------------
IPB Image
IPB Image
There are no borders to ingredients - Iron Chef Rokusaburo Michiba
Let the ingredients rest in peace - Iron Chef Rokusaburo Michiba
Don't struggle to be different just for the sake of being differen t- Iron Chef Rokusaburo Michiba
Respect the old and search for the new - Iron Chef Rokusaburo Michiba
+Quote Post
pf4ugc4
post Mar 28 2009, 02:20 AM
Post #8

Wooden Hammer
Group Icon

if i asked you what is 1sd fork wind 0 no elevation, u would know the answer right? that means ur a formula player. Plus, your methods are just visualization of elevation based on non-elevated and/or wind-0 shots. so based on what i explained in this topic, you're a formula player, much like everyone else. but again, to what extent you form, thats something else. whether ur a basic formula player or advanced formula player, that's up to u to judge, it'd be impossible to set exact parameters as to what it means to be a basic or an advanced form player.

a player cannot be a feel player and a form player at the same time. the two methods of play (in their most theoretical forms) contradict each other. if you are a feel player, you guess every shot, but if you already know that 40 2.4 (or watever the 1sd fork is) then u will inevitably use that as a reference and you won't be purely guessing any more. if you're a formula player and you know that wind against is /2 +1 then you will never purely guess that wind, therefore ur not playing by feel.

there may be instances when a form player just shoots (and wow it hits, ok thats feel) or when a feel player tries to mentally divide a wind to lower a certain amount of angles for one turn. then yes, those players have used their opposite methods in one turn, but u cant always be a feel/form player, they cant be integrated into one, its either one or the other.

it seems like people don't exactly like being branded a formula player, or like there is this outmost respect for those who stick to the ways of the "feel". thats bogus. in gb, 4 things matter: accuracy, speed, consistency, and strategic play, above all other minor details. if u can maximize any of those by using formula instead of feel, then formulas should be welcomed. period.
+Quote Post
xDemonessx
post Mar 29 2009, 04:48 AM
Post #9

NOPE
Group Icon

Group: Red Dragon
Member No.: 48
Guild: NEET
Main: TROLL

Clan: None

QUOTE(pf4ugc4 @ Mar 27 2009, 07:55 PM) *

emot-words.gif

I could use a calculator if i wanted too, and probably hit every shot. i think its more about how casual the player is not what methods they choose.

--------------------
IPB Image
PSA: WE HAVE A CHATROOM @ IRC.RIZON.NET #GBHQ
USE IT
IPB Image
+Quote Post
PUTOOOOO
post Mar 29 2009, 10:24 AM
Post #10

Red Dragon
Group Icon

This is feel

This is formula
IPB Image

I guess that gut feeling I get when I want to stop slicing around the power bar is also formula according to your definition?

and lol never seen anyone use the term macro and micro in gb :).

maybe you definition of formula and feel differ from a lot of people but I'm sure a lot of people agree with me on my definition of formula.

Allow me to give on my own terminology!

Casual lay back players(usually feel players): don't give a shit but just shoot and if you were to ask him/her what factor they would go "uhhh i dunno, I feel?"

Tense players (formula players) : think about their shot and takes 30 years to calculate their shots and refers to a wind circle thats beside them printed out.

btw a wind chart is a circle up to 359 factors ( 0 and 360 are the same) its up to the creator how many factors he wants to fit in there

--------------------
IPB Image
IPB Image
Don't struggle to be different just for the sake of being differen t- Iron Chef Rokusaburo Michiba
+Quote Post
pf4ugc4
post Mar 29 2009, 11:55 AM
Post #11

Wooden Hammer
Group Icon

lets make this the last feel/formula discussion and focus on the other terms. but before that, yes, macro and micro are a great thing for players to keep in mind as they learn to play and become better because it will make them reason through their in-game decisions to the point where they realize if "not moving was a good decision (bad micro)" or having the "weaskest mobile in the team go against the strongest in the other" was a good overall decision (bad macro). if these terms are welcomed enough into the community, players will think when they play as opposed to just shooting. so if you see someone taking hostage, go ahead and throw a "nice micro" comment in there, and that'll get things started.

ok the response. clearly u 2 are examples of the many who hold a misconception of feel being "worthy" or some sort of tradition that must be kept alive. it isnt...and formula isnt either...they are just 2 methods of playing a game (like playing zerg protoss or terran in starcraft, who cares what u use, just use what u are best with). if you can hit all shots with formula, u should do it, and if u can hit with pure feel, do it. there is no theoretical difference between the two. in practice, formulas are usually more accurate, and feel is usually faster. but in theory, they are the same shit, no hidden meaning of "good" or "bad".

adrian, your laid back player has a flaw (aside from the term itself that makes him look cooler than the tense player, when in reality they are just 2 loser kids playing a free-online game, so please make no distinction other than methodology). if he does a whatever shot with angle 70 after knowing that 70 3.0 = 1sd, that is, in theory, no longer feel. no matter if he "feels" the power as he slices/drags. this is because 70 3.0 gives that player enough of a reference to not be purely guessing anymore, and thats wat feel is. if u shoot the randomly picked angle 38 with the randomly picked power 2.87, thats feel. or if u shoot with angle 70 without knowing any reference at all, thats pure theoretical feel.

your tense player also has a flaw. if you think formulas are just windcharts and physics and etc, well then u didnt even bother to read the terms of the first post. they are, but a formula doesnt have to be a complicated set of factors, a formula can be a simple equation (70 3.0). the equations are very similar if you think about it: angle 70 with power 3.0 will hit the 800th pixel if wind = 0 and elevation = 0 ; angle Y with power X will hit the 800th pixel if wind = A and elevation = 0 (base.angle + A x factor = Y with X power).
so until u admit that u knew that too (and a lot more other landmarks, even factors, even memorized shots, even screen-implanted landmarks, like most players) you will realize ur a formula player, at least in theory. (and yes the circle can have 360 wind indicators obviously but not in the game)

let me put this clear once and for all: in theory, any shot derived from any reference is a formulated shot. whether that reference is basic (70 3.0) or advanced (wind x factor + base), or whether that resulting shot accurate or inaccurate (hits or not), is not the point in discussion in theorical terminology. this is an attempt to make a clear-cut distinction between what is formula and what is feel. a youtube video of an asian guy smashing the green doe as the other moves it around without getting hit, and a 70bjsl of ice is not a clear cut distinction. sorry buddy. serious gb players shouldnt be content to loosely accept bad definitions of those terms.

but it is also fair to add the out-of-theory, in-practice perspective. IN PRACTICE, players may combine both methods, but the methods attempt to explain each individual shot, whether that shot was felt or formulated. In theory, if a player simply knows that 70 3.0 = 1sd he is formulating that shot, because a feel player would know nothing and he might do a full shot! but of course, in practice 70 3.0 is probably not a good enough reference to make you hit in wind or elevated conditions. thats where "in practice feel" comes in. everyone already knows that. but what is important to realize is that there is no pure guessing in that method of play. therefore, in theory there cannot be a feel/form hybrid, but in practice there can be a hybrid.
+Quote Post
Htd
post Mar 29 2009, 12:32 PM
Post #12

Stone Hammer
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,225

QUOTE(xDemonessx @ Mar 29 2009, 04:48 AM) *

QUOTE(pf4ugc4 @ Mar 27 2009, 07:55 PM) *

emot-words.gif

I could use a calculator if i wanted too, and probably hit every shot. i think its more about how casual the player is not what methods they choose.

I highly doubt that.
+Quote Post
BaAaZoOoKaAa
post Mar 29 2009, 06:43 PM
Post #13

GG Nubs
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,129

IGN: BaAaZoOoKaAa
Guild: GG
Main: Trico

well its pretty hard not to hit every shot (or at least get close) if you use a calculator. granting that you have enough time to calculate. I use formulas, but when I feel, i have to use slice. It's more like coordination-based (i know this sounds funny lol). if I personally use feel its because i have no time to calculate so i shoot a random guess
+Quote Post
PUTOOOOO
post Mar 29 2009, 07:19 PM
Post #14

Red Dragon
Group Icon

some people just don't understand us feel players since they don't know what feel is like T_T

--------------------
IPB Image
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Htd
post Mar 29 2009, 08:05 PM
Post #15

Stone Hammer
Group Icon

I don't care if someone can hit ALL their shots. As long as they play smart and effective. This is why aimbot guilds fall prey..
+Quote Post
PUTOOOOO
post Mar 30 2009, 07:32 AM
Post #16

Red Dragon
Group Icon

QUOTE(pf4ugc4 @ Mar 29 2009, 11:55 AM) *

lets make this the last feel/formula discussion and focus on the other terms. but before that, yes, macro and micro are a great thing for players to keep in mind as they learn to play and become better because it will make them reason through their in-game decisions to the point where they realize if "not moving was a good decision (bad micro)" or having the "weaskest mobile in the team go against the strongest in the other" was a good overall decision (bad macro). if these terms are welcomed enough into the community, players will think when they play as opposed to just shooting. so if you see someone taking hostage, go ahead and throw a "nice micro" comment in there, and that'll get things started.

ok the response. clearly u 2 are examples of the many who hold a misconception of feel being "worthy" or some sort of tradition that must be kept alive. it isnt...and formula isnt either...they are just 2 methods of playing a game (like playing zerg protoss or terran in starcraft, who cares what u use, just use what u are best with). if you can hit all shots with formula, u should do it, and if u can hit with pure feel, do it. there is no theoretical difference between the two. in practice, formulas are usually more accurate, and feel is usually faster. but in theory, they are the same shit, no hidden meaning of "good" or "bad".

adrian, your laid back player has a flaw (aside from the term itself that makes him look cooler than the tense player, when in reality they are just 2 loser kids playing a free-online game, so please make no distinction other than methodology). if he does a whatever shot with angle 70 after knowing that 70 3.0 = 1sd, that is, in theory, no longer feel. no matter if he "feels" the power as he slices/drags. this is because 70 3.0 gives that player enough of a reference to not be purely guessing anymore, and thats wat feel is. if u shoot the randomly picked angle 38 with the randomly picked power 2.87, thats feel. or if u shoot with angle 70 without knowing any reference at all, thats pure theoretical feel.

your tense player also has a flaw. if you think formulas are just windcharts and physics and etc, well then u didnt even bother to read the terms of the first post. they are, but a formula doesnt have to be a complicated set of factors, a formula can be a simple equation (70 3.0). the equations are very similar if you think about it: angle 70 with power 3.0 will hit the 800th pixel if wind = 0 and elevation = 0 ; angle Y with power X will hit the 800th pixel if wind = A and elevation = 0 (base.angle + A x factor = Y with X power).
so until u admit that u knew that too (and a lot more other landmarks, even factors, even memorized shots, even screen-implanted landmarks, like most players) you will realize ur a formula player, at least in theory. (and yes the circle can have 360 wind indicators obviously but not in the game)

let me put this clear once and for all: in theory, any shot derived from any reference is a formulated shot. whether that reference is basic (70 3.0) or advanced (wind x factor + base), or whether that resulting shot accurate or inaccurate (hits or not), is not the point in discussion in theorical terminology. this is an attempt to make a clear-cut distinction between what is formula and what is feel. a youtube video of an asian guy smashing the green doe as the other moves it around without getting hit, and a 70bjsl of ice is not a clear cut distinction. sorry buddy. serious gb players shouldnt be content to loosely accept bad definitions of those terms.

but it is also fair to add the out-of-theory, in-practice perspective. IN PRACTICE, players may combine both methods, but the methods attempt to explain each individual shot, whether that shot was felt or formulated. In theory, if a player simply knows that 70 3.0 = 1sd he is formulating that shot, because a feel player would know nothing and he might do a full shot! but of course, in practice 70 3.0 is probably not a good enough reference to make you hit in wind or elevated conditions. thats where "in practice feel" comes in. everyone already knows that. but what is important to realize is that there is no pure guessing in that method of play. therefore, in theory there cannot be a feel/form hybrid, but in practice there can be a hybrid.

Now see here! emot-ssj.gif I never said it was according to your definition. don't just think you can make a thread about terminologies and expect everyone to agree on them from the start. I'm merely stating my own definitions that many people .

Feel to me is just not using any wind charts and counting on your own estimation on adjustments emot-eng101.gif

Formula to me is someone getting the final product as a final number emot-eng101.gif

its like those guys hammering that mochi. do you think they think about they amount of joules they put into every time they hammer it? NO, they just fucking hammer the shit out of it! Unless they get a team of scientists to get a machine to measure the amount of joules and a lot of other crap then that's formula. emot-billnye.gif
you know what their land mark is? the mochi and they hammer it until they guy FEELS for the right texture kinda like me slicing on the power bar but I use my gut feeling. emot-barf.gif please be more serious about this and read peoples av-41.pngav-41.png av-41.png av-41.png posts

--------------------
IPB Image
IPB Image
+Quote Post
pf4ugc4
post Mar 30 2009, 10:13 AM
Post #17

Wooden Hammer
Group Icon

that's that for the feel / form discussions. any other terms people want to discuss--not bitch about?
+Quote Post
1nsanemofo
post Mar 30 2009, 11:33 AM
Post #18

I stand among the voiceless millions
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 97

IGN: Reptar - LoL
Guild: Curse Gaming.
GBC:
GBNA:
Main: Support / Mid

Clan: Da Hobo Crew

food and gunbound have nothing to do with each other, in all fairness

--------------------
Hey I don't know if the billions will survive,
IPB Image
IPB Image
But I'll believe in God when 1 and 1 are 5.
+Quote Post
PUTOOOOO
post Mar 30 2009, 06:25 PM
Post #19

Red Dragon
Group Icon

allow me to propose another example of my point of view of feel
everything is math amirite? now you say a feel only consists of random shooting with no landmarks. I agree to a certain extent. because lets say a person with his first time playing gunbound shoots then undershots technically that shot he just made is now a landmark and hes gonna remember and then for his next shot hes gonna increase his power to hit the target but this time he over shoots there is another landmark made. Does this make him a formula player now? I highly doubt it

--------------------
IPB Image
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Htd
post Mar 30 2009, 08:20 PM
Post #20

Stone Hammer
Group Icon

QUOTE(PUTOOOOO @ Mar 30 2009, 06:25 PM) *

allow me to propose another example of my point of view of feel before you delete it again
everything is math amirite? now you say a feel only consists of random shooting with no landmarks. I agree to a certain extent. because lets say a person with his first time playing gunbound shoots then undershots technically that shot he just made is now a landmark and hes gonna remember and then for his next shot hes gonna increase his power to hit the target but this time he over shoots there is another landmark made. Does this make him a formula player now? I highly doubt it

Gathered feel processed into quick and accurate formula. g9
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th July 2019 - 04:42 AM

Mocha v1.0.3 Skin Designed by
Web Design by Bytech