IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Guests, read this to find out why you can't see most topics any more.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Raoner's Guild Guide to the New Raon, (WIP)
ProfessorPap
post Oct 6 2007, 06:19 PM
Post #1

Take that, you silly ox.
Group Icon

Group: Retired Staff
Member No.: 12

this is a WIP (work in progress) guide to raon. as time goes by i'll keep adding info and pics, as well as improving the text and correcting errors.

version 1.41 of text by professorpap, nov 27th, 2007. this guide is by no means complete, but i'm afraid i won't be working on it again anytime soon.

thanks to ybom, tony, hade, jay, john, zimu and the raoners guild for info, testing and suggestions. thanks to shere and papercut for paying for GBGL-HQ, allowing me to host this guide here.

areas marked with an asterisk "*" are new or contain new material.

this guide is designed to be viewed at 1024 x 768 screen resolution or higher.
---

RAON OVERVIEW IPB Image

while in the good old days raon was a mighty damage bot in the hands of an expert, the current version is one which is deadlier than ever at bunging while still doing medium damage and of course jostling and moving around its enemies with most hits. babies also stress other people because nobody likes the idea of something near their feet that is going to walk over and explode on them.

for these reasons raon is an absolute pest, and i'm sure this contributes to the endless lame protestations by other players- "raon is for noobs!"

a logical comparison to raon would involve the other bunge bots- bigfoot, cake and frog. but raon is the better all-around bot IMO.

whereas bigfoot is a slightly more deadly bot close-range, raon does much more consistent damage across all distances and allows greater bunge precision. cake and frog, of course, can be very dangerous bunge and angle-raping bots, but both lag far behind raon's damage and defense abilities. plus, raon can carry out a greater variety of attack plans than these bots.

raon certainly can't match the damage ability of the game's heavy hitters, like kalsi, turtle, nak, trico and boomer, but it has compensation by its versatility and ability to put pressure on other bots.

WHAT ANGLES TO USE?

for people starting out, i'd recommend picking about 2-3 angles and sticking with them until you've mastered them. angles 30 and 70 would be a good combination. or 20, 45 and 80, perhaps.

personally i like to use and become comfortable with angles in increments of ten- 10, 20, 30, 40/50 (i treat any angle in-between the same), 60, 70 as well as the high angle systems. advantages: it's really handy to be able to create the ideal shot for any situation. disadvantages: i might not use some angles for many, many games at a time, then when i try to dust them off i find that i'm extremely rusty at them- for example, angles 10 and 70 give me such problems.

ANGLE EQUALITIES: now here's a little GB physics help. angles that are equidistant from 45 will go the same distance in zero wind. or another way of figuring this is, if the two angles add up to 90 then they are 'equal'. therefore angle 10 = angle 80 (more on this below), 20 = 70, 30 = 60, 40 = 50. example: an angle 35 shot fired at two bars in neutral wind will go exactly as far as an angle 65 shot fired at two bars in neutral wind.

also, an angle 45 shot will go farther than any other angle shot at the same power. that means that the closer you bring your angle to 45, the further that shot will go for the amount of power you use. also, the more babies will spread apart. this is very important to know for "baby forking" purposes (more on that later).

LONG SG'S (SHOTGUNS)

i find that about angle 9-10 full (full power) for one SD (screen distance) is an amazingly easy and effective shot. you'll just need to add or subtract angle based on distance from one screen and for elevation differences. this is a very effective way to get babies right around a victim even if they're very far away- as long as you have necessary elevation and line of sight, of course.

IPB Image

SG AHOY!: in the example above the 'proper' SG angle is probably about eight, but i am raising it a bit because
with the spread of the babies and the slope of the land, i want to make sure they land equal to or above him. in
fact, what happened there is that one baby cored him and the second landed a little above and walked down.

digging a little deeper into the formula, angle 9-10 is derived from taking the difference from 90 for any bot's "UHA" number (about 78.5 for raon) and subtracting one (to hit their body) or two (to hit their feet) in order to convert it into the SG number.

thus, for babying: 90 - 78.5 = 11.5 - 2 = 9.5 full = one screen's distance.

another plus- most winds except heavy downwinds make little impact on these kinds of shots.

UHA (ULTRA HIGH ANGLE) SYSTEM

raon's UHA number seems to be about 78.5 to me. since that's very close to 78 i then divide the screen into twelve parts. for example, angle 90 full hits you on the head and angle 84 full hits one half screen away. to hit one screen away you'd use angle 78 and take off a little power- that's where the ".5" part in "78.5" comes from.

i find this works well for babying up to around angle 81 or so. by that time the babies are starting to really spread and you might even want to start taking off some power to compensate for the screen not really being 12 parts.

visually i don't try to remember measuring landmarks for this because softnyx has changed their interface several times and i don't trust them. so instead i just took a piece of paper and used a ruler to divide it up into twelve parts, then taped it to my monitor when i play GB. (more on that later)

OTHER HIGH ANGLE SYSTEMS

i use the "expanded magic one" system when i can't get the high angle number i want, or else the wind is crazy and i don't trust my wind adjustment enough to UHA. this system is something i came up with based on the original magic one formula documented by creedo.

using this method any error you make in wind adjustment will have much less effect than if you had UHA'd. also, one or both babies often make up for any errors by being close enough to walk.

i start by taking a fixed angle of 79. then i note the screen distance to the victim:

CODE
DISTANCE - BARS FORCE
  8th    -    1.41
  1/4    -    2.00
  3/8    -    2.45
  1/2    -    2.82
  5/8    -    3.16
  3/4    -    3.46
  7/8    -    3.74
  full   -    4.00

of course you might ask "well, why not just use a nice, round angle 80 instead of 79?", but the beauty of magic one is that you can use this system for any bot simply by using their UHA number as the fixed angle- from frog (82) all the way to nak (77).

the only thing you will need to do is to compensate a little for mobiles like raon that have half angles as their UHA numbers (like armor and turtle at 79.5). so if you're using angle 79 magic one with raon, just add a little power to the numbers above. or if you want to use 78, deduct a little power instead.

and as before, i use a piece of paper to divide the screen into eighths.

another good system for short high angle shots would be the 20-part system (also called "banpao" just to make everyone's lives more confusing):
http://creedo.gbgl-hq.com/3_0formula.htm

20-part would be more accurate (less baby spreading) and more vulnerable to wind than magic one up to half a screen, while less accurate (more baby spreading) and less vulnerable to wind from half to a full screen distance. in other words, neither system is 'better' than the other... so take your pick.

* FIXED 65 SYSTEM *

CODE
DISTANCE - BARS FORCE
  1/8    -    1.08
  1/4    -    1.45
  3/8    -    1.78
  1/2    -    2.05
  5/8    -    2.3
  3/4    -    2.52
  7/8    -    2.72
   1     -    2.9

my guildmate john's preferred angle for using shot one in general, and for trying to fork babies at long range.

65 is an excellent 'compromise angle' IMO because it has both excellent chances of getting at the victim's land and for bunging the land more-or-less below him. by comparison, a higher angle like 80 is harder to land precisely in front of the victim's feet, and a lower angle like 45 would take out his land in more of a diagonal shape instead of just below him.

FORMULA VS FEEL?

i find the most fun is from using as little formula as possible, so besides magic one and UHA (which i use drag for), i use feel in slice mode because i like the challenge of timing shots out instead of measuring them. so i don't use 20-part or 30-part systems nor have landmarks where any other shots will land.

i've found this works pretty well for raon. it does often lead to embarrassment when i can't make a simple angle 70 shot where i'm expected to, but overall seems fine. i'm not gonna beat the formula masters on flattish maps, but on many maps raon will make up for it by its bunge capability.

* MEASURING STICK AND SAMPLE SHOTS *

here's a little more info on the 'measuring stick' i made out of paper and taped to the monitor.

IPB Image

MARKS FOR UHA AND MAGIC ONE: click above to see full-size version.

the red marks are breaking the screen up into 12 parts (for use with UHA) while the arrows are breaking it up into eight parts (for use with magic one). as you can see i've also written out the shot strengths for magic one going each way. don't ask me why the piece of paper doesn't seem to line up evenly with the edge of the screen. in real life it does, but i guess the camera is giving it some fish-eye effect or something.

QUOTE(TWO EXAMPLES)
okay, now let's calculate a couple sample shots in zero wind. start by imagining that you're on the left edge of the screen. the edge should be cutting through the middle of your mobile body, so you would see only half of your body sticking out. this is the usual way to measure distance, as opposed to the "ks-calc" way, which you can read more about at GBGL-HQ.

alright, now let's say you want to high angle the "o" in "mission". if it was neutral wind (either zero or one) you could use UHA, therefore you would subtract 6.5 angles from 90, giving an angle of 83 LTF (less than full power). LTF is necessary for hitting 'half shots' like this. the LTF power is usually about 3.8 bars or so, except for short shots like 89 or 88 when you must use much less power, for example angle 89 about 3.0 bars to hit someone half a UHA unit distance from you.

now if the wind was something funky like five units pointing to seven o'clock you might want to switch to magic one. therefore you would change to angle 79 and look up a power of about 2.95 bars of force to hit that "o". then you need to add a little bit more to offset the wind- it's minor but not neutral, so let's say another .05 force. then you're going to add a little bit more because i personally estimate raon's UHA one SD mark to be 78.5, not 79. so add another .05 for a total of 3.05. and fire!

the advantage of the paper measuring stick is that it's more versatile than using other kinds of marks on the GB screen. if you use marks on the GB screen sometimes you'll find that being close to the edge of the screen will prevent you from being able to drag them over to where you need them. that won't happen with the piece of paper.

the disadvantage of paper is that you have to attach it every time you want to use GB, and also if you play on multiple computers there's a good chance the screen will be a different size, requiring a custom piece of paper just for that other monitor.

WIND

i just estimate wind for high angle shots, or feel it out for all other shots.

often you can use "divide wind by two" for your angle adjustment when the wind is in the 2-4 o'clock and 8-10 o'clock range. of course when the wind is really kicking (like around 13 to 25 units) you will probably need to take more like 60% of the wind as your angle adjustment when it's around the three o'clock and nine o'clock positions.

winds close to 'straight up' will require you to increase an angle (shorten your shot) for roughly every 10 wind units. winds close to 'straight down' will require you to decrease an angle for roughly every 10 wind units. an alternative would be to add/decrease power instead of changing the angle. try adjusting .1 bars for every seven units of up/down wind.

IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

ANNOYING WINDS: these are all 'in-betweenish'
winds, not quite neutral (ie ignore) and not
requiring a huge adjustment, but just enough to
easily throw off your UHA attempts. people who
use the angle 80 wind chart may be able to
precisely deal with these, but given a choice i'd
prefer to switch from UHA to magic one.

i'm able to get away with not using real wind charts because raon usually gives me the luxury of babying as a test shot. also, because shot one isn't very useful when high angled, meaning it falls into my 'feel out the wind with slice' category.

at this point i'd be interested in hearing if anybody excels with a specific windchart with raon- for example an angle 80 chart.

BABY FORKING

this is very useful to know and applies to any angle shot where you can't get two babies onto one victim but you can get one baby each onto two victims.

IPB Image

HIGH ANGLE SPREADS: a diagram of UHA spreads from tooya's guide. click above for full-sized version.

right now my approach is, the more i use any angle the more i get a feel for what the spread will be like. so i simply look at the placement of the enemies and the distance and the most useful angle will usually pop into my head from experience. then all i have to do is to hit. :P

but it might be better to be more precise about this. should we start plotting out exactly where the babies will land and making some charts up?

RAON ANGLE RANGE SUCKS

it's not that the angle's so terrible, but like mage, short lower angle shots will hit yourself. thus it's a huge pain in the ass given that raon is such a bunge-centric bot, messing up a lot of shot one situations. and, unlike mage, raon has crappy movement, often leading to little choice in these matters.

basically this just means you have to make harder shots than normal, for example choosing a high angle instead of a low (hopefully with wind against you) and trying to angle the shot down where you need it. this can often lead to disaster, but sometimes there's no choice but to try.

also, one pleasant side-effect of the new-style raon is that you can now do "baby poops" for the bunge you're trying for.

** DUAL+ IS GODLY **

everyone has to admit that the lameness of the new raon (no more super-high damage possible) is well-compensated for by how godly dual+ has become. not only is it a great way to do around 330-440 damage with low delay from most angles, but it's also a super fantastic bunge weapon.

where before, the victim's body might have caused a dual shot one to be either blocked by his core or else just miss doing the bunge, now you can you can dual+ and drop the shot one at his feet and let the two babies come from the sides to eat up his last bit of land.

therefore i pack two dual+ and one dual in limited item games. i am very tempted to pack three of them, but sometimes you just have to have that one dual in order to finish off a bunge or a baby kill.

thor also loves to strengthen this shot. as long as all parts of the shot hit, you can regularly do 500+ to enemies.

dual+ is also surprisingly good for long SG's- make sure your shot one hits the victim's core or bunges him only slightly and both your babies will hit if there is a some slope behind him. worse is if you miss below him, then you'll create a pocket underneath him with the two babies sitting there, in which case you'll have to pray that he doesn't move so you can knock him down next turn. worst of all is if you overshoot, completely wasting the shot one and having only one baby hit or be within walking distance.

** HOW TO BUNGE **

SHOT 1: get your shot as far under the victim as possible. in other words, don't hit his core or else the shot will be completely absorbed for crappy damage. therefore, the lower the angle or lower the position you can get on the victim, the more of his land you can take out.

shooting from underneath the victim = ideal bunging position. shooting from above the victim = worst bunging position.

if you are forced to use a high-ish angle/position on the victim, try to hit just in front of him. this will eat up his land and then knock him down into the hole you made.

SHOT 2: when babies explode they take out a bit of land, and this can be quite useful for bunging. sometimes your shot one has no chance but to hit the victim's core, like the situations mentioned above, or if you are stuck face-to-face. in this case, babies might be the only way you can bunge to any degree (and of course do much better damage). and when the victim's land is thin enough... well, there you go. babies also have the advantage of taking out the land directly below the victim which is sometimes more useful than a shot one.

you might also want to use babies to bunge even when you know the victim will drop to safety at a lower level. the reason is, oftentimes one baby will hit and bunge, while the other baby falls down to join the victim.

IPB Image

BABIES CAN BUNGE!: they'll walk
over and easily drop the victim
through that land. BTW, that land
is the ideal thickness for "slipping"
babies without weather.

SS: even the special shot can bunge some land. this can be extremely useful when you have a long shot to the enemy requiring a great deal of precision in order to bunge by shot one or shot two. SS is designed to be an extremely easy shot to hit as long as it doesn't have to walk up steep slopes.

IPB Image

DIFFICULT BUNGE: at first glance this seems
like an easy bunge, yet his core is completely
blocking the land i want to take out.

this is the kind of shot that non-raon users just assume we should be able to make in our sleep. in reality, it's quite tricky and requires us to go through a lot of scenerios in our head.

- with a weather effect (thor, lightning) we could possibly dual shot one to get the bunge.
- we could dual+ just in front of him, -possibly- taking out just enough land with the shot one to let the far baby walk right to finish him off (the near baby should completely miss the land).
- if we can avoid that annoying spike of land partially blocking the shot, we could dual babies to try for the bunge.
- or if you could afford to spend another turn, safest thing might be to baby him for now to set him up for next turn.
- another really annoying thing about that position is that there's some extra land under his left side which -might- just save him if the land above him is taken out.

and people think raon is all cakes and pies. T_T

IPB Image

BETTER BUNGE: this time i'm shooting from under-
neath him and i have lightning to help me, too.

the difficulties this time are that my angle is not really ideal and i can't afford to move down otherwise i might get bunged myself. but i can't get killed before i get two turns, so i decide to use that to my advantage. we're in SS death mode, btw.

first turn i aim a little below the raon's core with a SG shot one in order to clear the pixels overhanging me and to thin out his land. second turn the lightning is still there and i "e-slip" him with an SS in order to have very good bunge chances and very good killing chances (in fact i accomplished both). he's the last kill of the game, so i can afford to do that. if he wasn't, i probably would play it safe by going for the pure bunge with another SG shot one.

if i had only had one turn to finish him and could use an item, i'd probably have gone with a dual+ to create a "ghost" shot which would have killed, not bunged.

BABY SPLASH DAMAGE

it used to be that dropping two babies close to a victim's 'core' and then having a teammate 'set them off' by hitting the victim, or by doing it yourself via a dual+ type II (ie shot two fired first) would add nice damage. this used to add maybe 75% of the full baby damage, for example 225 out of the full 300 for two babies.

with the recent raon nerfing (circa jan-feb in GBNA), this kind of damage is much less... perhaps only about 40%. for example, you'll often only get around 100 out of the full 250 possible for two babies.

still, even after the nerfing this can be a useful tool.

i would not recommend using dual+ type II anymore, but sometimes it's useful to set the babies off for a little extra damage, particularly when they are stuck and can't move any closer. also, doing a messy dual+ type I (where only the shot one hits and only a single baby even gets near the victim) might be just enough to set up a kill for a teammate. by adding about 200 damage you made the kill possible, with the one baby adding maybe 50 damage to your teammate's shot.

BEING ABLE TO LINE UP LONG SHOTS ON THE FLY

this is an unbelievably important skill for a raoner, mainly for bunge purposes but also for "slipping" and sometimes "bouncing" purposes.

a typical scenerio is that you're sitting about 9/10th of a screen below and 9/10th of a screen horizontally distant from someone. in other words, you have a long-ass diagonal shot to make and need to hit it almost perfectly.

my personal method is to 1) stare very hard at my shot pointer, visualising a line to my target, 2) move the screen so that i pretend i'm the victim and again visualise a line back to myself, 3) move the screen back and forth between these two positions, making tiny adjustments in my shot pointer until the two imaginary lines meet, 4) raise the pointer slightly to compensate for gravity, 5) hope that i haven't used up massive quantities of time doing all this.

another way to do this would simply be to use a straight edge, altho after trying that a couple times i was never really satisfied having to use one hand to hold the mouse button down and make sure the mouse stayed in the same place while using the other hand to line up the ruler. it would sure be easier if there was a way to 'anchor' the screen.

EXTRA DAMAGE FROM CORING / LOCKING

being able to do this used to be the difference between a mediocre raon-user and a good raon-user. now it's more like the answer to a trivia question, but is still worth knowing in order to get some bonus damage.

how it works: if you land a baby on the victim's core (right between their feet), the baby immediately explodes without needing to walk. if you've done this while dualing, the second set of babies will explode just like the first, even though the victim got dropped slightly and the second set of babies should have flown past him slightly. the babies are said to have "teleported" or to have "locked". the reason that this was so important is because it was a way to cause baby damage immediately, without needing a turn for them to walk.

even though this shot is much less important (because babies now walk on the first turn), it still has the added benefit of causing a little more damage. whereas you might only do 500 with dualed babies which had to walk, if they got locked in then you might do around 560.

incidentally, with the old raon you could do as much as 750 this way, meaning you could kill someone with as little as a single shot two and a dual!

** STUCK BABIES AND BABY TRIGGERS **

babies get stuck when they walk into steeply-sloped land. i haven't strictly measured the curvature of these kinds of slopes but i guess it's around angle 65 or so.

IPB Image

STUCK ON THE LEFT: it's no
problem for the baby on the
right to walk to the victim,
but the baby on the left will
soon get stuck on the steep
curving slope.

so what to do?

answer: you need to create a baby-triggering event.

1) if possible, try to herd the victim as close as you can to the stuck babies (leftwards in the pic) and have a baby from the other side (from the right) walk over and explode on him. this will bunge a tiny bit of land which will hopefully be enough to destroy the spike of land holding the stuck babies back.

2) or in the words of tony, "reach the baby limit and have one in land explode." since the baby limit is eight, that means you must have eight of your own babies on the map when you fire the ninth and tenth babies- this will cause your two oldest babies to disappear, taking a little bit of land with them when they go, again hopefully clearing that spike of land.

3) have a cake (JD) teammate shot two the area to drag the victim and the babies together. this may also get rid of the land spike, since cake's shot two usually bunges without setting off babies.

a fourth way might be to graze the top of the steep slope with either a shot one or babies fired through lightning or thor, but it's likely that the stuck babies will be sitting so close to the land in question that you'll wind up blowing them all by accident. therefore it's probably best to think of this as a desperation shot.

once you succesfully execute a baby trigger, of course, your offspring will gleefully rush to the victim, creating some stunning damage if there a lot of them.

IPB Image

STUCK ON A PIXEL: other times
babies just get stuck on a pixel
even though they're in range
and should drop down.

this happens pretty often- there is no slope holding the babies back, but they get 'attached' to pixels and don't want to fall. this is probably because pixels are generally buggy in GB. sometimes they act as if they don't exist (shots go right through them), sometimes they will instantly blow a frog shot or nak shot 2 upon contact, etc etc.

so what to do? unfortunately the babies in these situations are harder to salvage than the 'stuck on slope' babies. only methods two and three from above will work.

** HOW MUCH LAND DOES SHOT ONE EAT UP? **

it's really important to know this IME. not only for "ghost shots" and "reverse ghost shots" (which generally aren't worth it anymore), but also just to set up other kinds of shots. for example, in the 'zig-zag' map (adium B i think), being able to eat up all but a strip of thin land under a victim is super incredibly useful.

IPB Image

STRAIGHT UP: about 80+ pixels deep by 65+ pixels wide.

IPB Image

HORIZONTALLY: about 90+ pixels deep by 60+ pixels wide.

IPB Image

FROM ABOVE: about 80+ pixels deep by 60+ wide. (note pic is half-scale)

TRICK SHOTS: OVERVIEW

sadly, the rewards for doing precision trick shots aren't as great since ijji (really softnyx) changed raon. but it's still important to know how all the shots work. following this section, you will find examples of some of these.

be sure to see ybom's guide for all the trick shot terminology:
http://www.gbgl-hq.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2008

IPB Image

SMORGASBORD OF TRICKS: john does
just about every trick in the book in this
compilation video. (click above to watch).

** BOUNCE SHOT **

when you fire babies at land that is too thick for them to "slip" through, they will bounce off straight down (or nearly straight down). this is very useful when there is an enemy directly underneath.

note: be careful of trying to bounce when the roof has irregular shapes, like on adium B. it's always best to bounce off of smooth, thick land if possible. also, be careful of trying to bounce through a lightning bolt. both of these cases may lead to the babies getting stuck in the roof (they go up, but never come down).

IPB Image

LONG BOUNCE: you can bounce babies from any distance as long as you are accurate. jay prolly used about
angle 12 here. note that the horizontal bounce line would have some arc in reality.

* SWISH SHOT *

a somewhat mysterious and unpredictable shot, but gives you a big psychological edge by pumping up the "OMGWTFHACKER" level. the opportunity to do a swish exists on just about every map, but doesn't come up too much in reality.

IPB Image

SWISH?: put babies into the nado, either
by lobbing or SGing, then they'll float up
(right thru the land) and if all goes well,
explode on the victim high above.

* WELCOMING COMMITTEE / RIOT ATTACK *

the idea is to place babies where the victim is going to respawn. if they are going to spawn right next to you, you will either have to place babies a little farther so they don't walk onto you or else use shot one first to make a pit.

IPB Image

YBOM IN ACTION: click above to watch a video of ybom
preparing babies for a dropper in GBC (gunbound classic).

** NOTABLE ENEMIES **

BOOMER- shot two and the SS really tear this bot up, so if you can avoid the typical 'dual through weather backshot' from boomer then you have great chances to dominate, and dominate hard. also, raon is great for messing with his elevation, changing his hooks and backshots around.

for example, when boomer has you all lined up for a nasty hook, a nice dual+ with thor can be a great way to hit him hard, drop him lower and possibly even make his hook impossible given the wind conditions.

NAK- babies are surprisingly decent against nak, perhaps because he has a wide core. and shot one is fantastic for making deep holes between you and him, taking away his shot two opportunities. babies can also drive a nak insane by repeatedly tampering with his angle and elevation, and by angle-raping him.

LIGHTNING- a fairly nightmarish opponent. oh yes, my precious. lightning's shots splash you hard without even trying, change your angle around (or outright angle-rape you), cause very high damage with accurate hits (up to 300 with shot one!) and leaves your delay in the dust. he also has enormous movement to easily flee your babying and bunging efforts.

with the old raon you could melee (fight face-to-face against) lightning fairly effectively, but with the weakening of the babies this has become more difficult. the idea with melee is that you get him into a hole so he can't run, then get almost on top of him and baby him while he hits you but splashes himself. but a good lightning should still be able to toast you this way.

perhaps the best way to fight this guy now is to first let him get you into a pit as a defensive maneuver. you will probably lose half your health very quickly, but the more he hits you the more difficult it will be for him to shot-one you (since it will require very accurate vertical hits) and shot-two you (it will be probably be blocked). meanwhile you can hopefully get him relatively trapped and high-angle baby him to death.

MAGE- this can be a very nasty bot to face. babies do crappy damage against mage because he floats above the ground; putting him in a hole usually doesn't help because he can easily get angle on you; his shot two forks tend to hit raon very hard (and with thor, you're in for a world of pain); and lastly, he has a lot of movement to help avoid the bunges you try to set up on him.

having a teammate DT (double team) this guy is preferred. or, consider ignoring him and helping a teammate DT someone else. a mage of similar skill to yourself has the advantage in a 1v1 damage contest.

** NOTABLE MAPS **

raon is particularly well-suited to certain maps.

IPB Image

RING RAPE: when an enemy first spawns on top of one of the rings on metropolis B you can drop them down
into the ring with a well-placed shot, causing most bots to be immediately angle-raped and stuck. after that you
might baby them or prepare the land below for bunging.

OTHER RAON INFO

any raon player should read the older guides of course to get different perspectives on raon:
http://creedo.gbgl-hq.com/raon.htm
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
RaonFlavor
post Oct 6 2007, 07:33 PM
Post #2

Proud Raoner
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 697

IGN: RaonFlavor
Guild: Raoners
Main: Raon/Turtle

From what i've seen(From Adium A)
1 Bit:1/6 of land
2 Bits:1/3-1/2 of land
3 Bits(Perfectly aimed):3/4 of land. You could dig more with 3 bits, but the enemy wouldn't be dropped(Unless you had lightning/thor/Mines to aid you)

--------------------
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
+Quote Post
1nsanemofo
post Oct 7 2007, 07:22 AM
Post #3

I stand among the voiceless millions
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 97

IGN: Reptar - LoL
Guild: Curse Gaming.
GBC:
GBNA:
Main: Support / Mid

Clan: Da Hobo Crew

1 Turn bunges on Miramo B anyone?

--------------------
Hey I don't know if the billions will survive,
IPB Image
IPB Image
But I'll believe in God when 1 and 1 are 5.
+Quote Post
ybom
post Oct 7 2007, 07:49 AM
Post #4

Gold Axe
Group Icon

Member No.: 89

IGN: ybom
Main: raon

Clan: Phonetic Masturbaters

Does wind / 2 still work on ijji for full power shots down to around 75ish angle?

--------------------
+Quote Post
ProfessorPap
post Oct 7 2007, 01:33 PM
Post #5

Take that, you silly ox.
Group Icon

QUOTE(RaonFlavor @ Oct 6 2007, 09:33 PM) *

From what i've seen(From Adium A)
1 Bit:1/6 of land
2 Bits:1/3-1/2 of land
3 Bits(Perfectly aimed):3/4 of land. You could dig more with 3 bits, but the enemy wouldn't be dropped(Unless you had lightning/thor/Mines to aid you)

this is aiming at their feet? like some of it hits their bot and some eats their land?

i was also wondering whether different amounts of land are eaten up depending on your angle. in other words, does a shot one fired straight up bunge a different amount of land than a SG? (this would be just into the land, not into any bots)

QUOTE(ybom @ Oct 7 2007, 09:49 AM) *

Does wind / 2 still work on ijji for full power shots down to around 75ish angle?

AFAIK raon physics and wind effects haven't changed since i first started playing three years ago. of course i've only been playing raon maybe six total months or so, so i'm not 100% sure on that.

IME winds which are roughly straight to the sides are 60% winds. winds in the area of about 8 - 10 'oclock and 2 - 4 'oclock are / 2 winds (50%) for high angle shots. checking the wind chart in the icytalent guide, this seems to more or less agree.

and a question for you, ybom- could you talk about babies getting stuck on sharp-sloping land such that they need a trigger event to release them? i'm not quite sure what the different trigger methods are, other than maybe a baby on the other side hitting the victim and removing just enough land to lower that slope.
+Quote Post
Toneh
post Oct 7 2007, 01:39 PM
Post #6

Bitches don't know 'bout my particular set of skills
Group Icon

Member No.: 115

Clan: Jean Chrétien stole my bike

and a question for you, ybom- could you talk about babies getting stuck on sharp-sloping land such that they need a trigger event to release them? i'm not quite sure what the different trigger methods are, other than maybe a baby on the other side hitting the victim and removing just enough land to lower that slope.

Reach the baby limit and have one in land explode.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
ProfessorPap
post Oct 18 2007, 08:48 AM
Post #7

Take that, you silly ox.
Group Icon

- improvement of text and correction of various small errors.
- redid a pic which was screwing up the page formatting.
- added five more sections (blue).
- i did testing / screenshooting of how much land shot one eats up in various situations. will add those in a future update.
- i'm finding that angle 85 is really useful for short, baby-placing shots. now i need someone to help me test so that we can make a table of values.
+Quote Post
xDemonessx
post Oct 18 2007, 09:45 PM
Post #8

NOPE
Group Icon

Group: Red Dragon
Member No.: 48
Guild: NEET
Main: TROLL

Clan: None

good shit nic, for sure try this stuff on me some games icon13.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
PSA: WE HAVE A CHATROOM @ IRC.RIZON.NET #GBHQ
USE IT
IPB Image
+Quote Post
hade
post Oct 19 2007, 12:26 AM
Post #9

A Little Chick
Group Icon

Member No.: 177

IGN: changes too much
Guild: NONS
Main: Random?

add moar techniques behind the explanations, yes the obvious ones XD because for some people they might not be so obvious
+Quote Post
Nix
post Oct 22 2007, 10:48 AM
Post #10

Diamond Wand
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 41

IGN: Nix0r
Guild: ACES
Main: Turtle, Boomer, Trico

Clan: The ACES of ACES

Oh my God Hade.

--------------------
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
+Quote Post
RaonFlavor
post Oct 28 2007, 02:51 PM
Post #11

Proud Raoner
Group Icon

Member No.: 697

IGN: RaonFlavor
Main: Raon/Turtle

Fixed 65(My prefered angle for using shot one in general, and for trying to fork babies at long range)

CODE
DISTANCE - BARS FORCE
  1/8    -    1.08
  1/4    -    1.45
  3/8    -    1.78
  1/2    -    2.05
  5/8    -    2.3
  3/4    -    2.52
  7/8    -    2.72
   1     -    2.9

Shotguns for perfect screen distances(very slightly rounded up)

CODE
DISTANCE -   Angle
  1/4    -    87
  1/2    -    84
  3/4    -    81
   1     -    78

--------------------
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
+Quote Post
ProfessorPap
post Oct 28 2007, 05:21 PM
Post #12

Take that, you silly ox.
Group Icon

thanks all!

- six new sections with starfish marking them (IPB Image)
- three new pics and a video
+Quote Post
rubikk
post Nov 5 2007, 09:13 PM
Post #13

Double Wooden Hammer
Group Icon

Member No.: 736

IGN: rubikk
Main: Raon

Awesome guide, pap!

I've read this multiple times already (I've come across this site frequently in the past, but never signed up). It certainly helped.

In fact, it was almost two years ago that I first started playing seriously (it became my main bot, despite having been severely... handicapped by ijji tongue.gif ). The only reason for that?

Well.. because I came across ybom's list of raon tricks. I was captivated, and never stopped loving raon wub.gif .

So thanks to all these great guides!

Btw.

Swish shots are sexy.

+Quote Post
ProfessorPap
post Nov 6 2007, 10:51 AM
Post #14

Take that, you silly ox.
Group Icon

hihi zimu. :D

yea i actually need help from you guys with screenshots for this guide. eventually i want to have a pic for every single type of shot, including all the trick shots of course.

see, i got back to my apt two days ago and my old HD totally died. i lost all my old GB screenshots, including a series i was going to add of ybom dual bounce-shotting someone off one of the tiny knobs on adium B. :(

so if you have any nice or educational screenshots of raon shots, let me know please and i'll give you an email address to send them to...

also, maybe someone wants to send me their old HD. both my 30gig drives are dead so i'm currently using a 2.4 gig drive from 1999. XD
+Quote Post
LichKingg
post Nov 6 2007, 04:44 PM
Post #15

Anime Otaku
Group Icon

Member No.: 732

IGN: LichKingg
Guild: Ivan's guild. (keeps changing name so i'll just leave it @ that)
GBNA:
Main: turtle

Clan: The ACES of ACES

how would you get the babies to land close together in tailwind? or is that impossible. It seems rather easy with high angle and headwind, so would a reverse wind item be useful for having babies close together to a target?

--------------------
IPB Image
Waterloo '12 - Math: Financial Analysis/Risk Management
+Quote Post
ProfessorPap
post Nov 6 2007, 04:54 PM
Post #16

Take that, you silly ox.
Group Icon

i've rarely if ever done it with raon, but prolly backshot would be the way to go.

maybe i should start trying that more often. currently when there's strong tailwind i like to use angle 90 to minimise spread.

taking a wind change would be interesting... you could hose boomers, naks and kalsis pretty good, i guess.
+Quote Post
Toneh
post Nov 6 2007, 05:02 PM
Post #17

Bitches don't know 'bout my particular set of skills
Group Icon

Member No.: 115

Clan: Jean Chrétien stole my bike

Good guide pap. However, I saw much info on how to shoot, but not really how to play Raon. So I thought I'd add tactics on my own. Feel free to use my post in any way you like.

The new Raon is an amazing control bot. I think you should elaborate on pushing enemies with babies into bunges, particularly in Cozy B. Babies near the edge of tower, pressure opponent, he moves back, JD shot 2 FTW.

I also think you should really put emphasis on SPAMMING. No matter if people think it's cheap or gay or whatever, when I play Raon, I don't really play aggressively anymore since the payout isn't as high anymore. If an opponent goes in a hole, whether by you or anyone else, I really, REALLY beg you to start spamming babies in the hole. With their limited movement range, babies can easily be evaded. If you shoot them in a hole, it's much more difficult to do so, and the only thing left to do for the dude is to dig himself in - hindering his shots. So I think the most important thing to do with the new Raon is to be relentless - once you've started shooting babies in the sky, do not stop unless it's to hole in another fool and start the cycle again.

Furthermore, players shouldn't be scared of using Raon on Bionics. The most awesome change now is that babies have the same attraction level to bionics than they do for metallic bots. Turtle is especially fun to screw around with. They always take an angle and slant themselves, which is a PERFECT position to ruin some angles and start kickin' ass. In addition, Turtles are VERY vulnerable to "hole + babyspam" tactics. I'd go as far as saying Raon is the anti-Turtle. I can't tell you how many games I've carried against formula Turtle whores, winning most of them because I was a pain and holed them in.

Shotguns, slip, bounces are rarely worth it anymore. They are weak and unnecessarily showoff-y. The new Raon player should focus on learning how to aim bunge shots, and baby spread distance to babyspam effectively. I'd say Raon is now an "engineer" instead of a "tank" : his job is not to destroy the enemy anymore, but to hinder him and be as annoying as possible.

Given the new "gay" nature of babies, psychological warfare works wonders with Raon. I remember Hade wrote a guide on how to be an asshole ; since you're going to be insulted, whined at, called a cheap-ass bitch or a faggot, find a way to infuriate them even more. Start to always aim for the whiners. The goal is to get them to land near you, in which case all your shots become easier, and since yours are easier to pull off, given the nature of Raon, his are much harder.

Well, that's all. The new Raon is not really "horrible", it just takes a bit more brains to win.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
rubikk
post Nov 6 2007, 06:37 PM
Post #18

Double Wooden Hammer
Group Icon

Member No.: 736

IGN: rubikk
Main: Raon

i lost all my old GB screenshots, including a series i was going to add of ybom dual bounce-shotting someone off one of the tiny knobs on adium B. :(

actually, a while before i joined Raoners, i used to find a low-numbered room, set it to 1v1 on Adiumroot B, and.. pwn. so i've actually done that quite a lot of times. i was quite surprised to find that raon's damage (no weather) can actually reach high 700's.

furthermore..

The Internet Resarch Demi-God,

I totally agree.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th August 2019 - 06:25 PM

Mocha v1.0.3 Skin Designed by
Web Design by Bytech