IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Guests, read this to find out why you can't see most topics any more.

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Another retarded "feel vs formula" debate.
ProfessorPap
post Nov 3 2007, 03:08 PM
Post #1

Take that, you silly ox.
Group Icon

Group: Retired Staff
Member No.: 12

SPLIT FROM "HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN WINDCHART" TOPIC:
http://www.gbgl-hq.com/forum/index.php?sho...c=2616&st=0

*sigh*

i guess i'll never really understand why you guys use formulas and wind charts to hit all but the easiest shots. how does it keep the game challenging, or is the only thing you care about winning?

by spreading this information (clever as it is), you'll eventually just force nooby feel players like myself to learn more and more formulas and wind stuff just to stay competitive.

ah... nevermind me. end rant.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
MaShin
post Nov 3 2007, 04:00 PM
Post #2

Wooden Hammer
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 448

IGN: MaShin
Guild: 4star
Main: Armor

The reason I use formulas is that play more then one bot or quit gb for a while and still be quite at the same level I was when I left.
I don't share my good stuff with anybody I don't understand why to do so.
And winning isn't about hitting all the time too, so it's not like we gonna win if we just keep hitting.. being a pro is basicly strategy and delay play for me, hitting is something you can learn much faster, while the rest is experience.

For me.. few of the best players aren't formula users.

If you choose to learn formulas it is ur decision.. Feel players are faster than formula players.. each has it's own benefits.

--------------------
4star guild website.
http://www.4star.co.nr/

FTC guild forum.
http://www.FTCguild.co.nr/
+Quote Post
StY
post Nov 3 2007, 04:02 PM
Post #3

Double Gold Axe
Group Icon

Member No.: 650

IGN: 5aintY
Guild: ACES
GBNA:

Clan: The ACES of ACES

pap has a good point. its once again down to the classic arguement of formula vs feel.
my opinion on formulas is: those who r willing to learn shud not b rejected. those who r not willing to learn shud not b protected.
+Quote Post
ProfessorPap
post Nov 3 2007, 06:47 PM
Post #4

Take that, you silly ox.
Group Icon

The reason I use formulas is that play more then one bot or quit gb for a while and still be quite at the same level I was when I left.

what's wrong with going through the process of getting your old skill back?

And winning isn't about hitting all the time too, so it's not like we gonna win if we just keep hitting.. being a pro is basicly strategy and delay play for me, hitting is something you can learn much faster, while the rest is experience.

i agree that experience helps, but it doesn't take a genius to learn pretty-quick that DT is a winning strategy and that when there's one kill left everyone shoots for one kill.

meanwhile it's MUCH harder to hit hard shots consistently if you don't have formula / windchart. that stuff could take years and years otherwise. i guess you are grateful that GB allows such shortcuts, eh?

few of the best players aren't formula users.

not really. any top player is going to have at least a basic command of the common formulas. i agree they might use their experience to 'finish' off their shots and wind calc, but they still have formula for a basis, even if it's only developing indexes in their heads for fixed angle landmarks. and for longer shots you know they still look at wind and adjust angle accordingly.

If you choose to learn formulas it is ur decision.. Feel players are faster than formula players.. each has it's own benefits.

feel players aren't necessarily faster. if you're an experienced formula player you can often quickly measure distance, make your wind adjustment and -bam- hit your dragshot all in a very short time. meanwhile a feel slice player probably has to clear their mind, visualise the effect wind will have, visualise the arc of the shot and then go through that slow slice process.

if you're a so-called 'dragshot feel' player who fires quickly then again, you prolly have an internal set of landmark indexes you've built up to help you hit. so you're not exactly a pure feel player anyway.
+Quote Post
Gabe
post Nov 3 2007, 07:13 PM
Post #5

Double Stone Hammer
Group Icon

Member No.: 32

QUOTE(ProfessorPap @ Nov 3 2007, 08:47 PM) *

few of the best players aren't formula users.

not really. any top player is going to have at least a basic command of the common formulas. i agree they might use their experience to 'finish' off their shots and wind calc, but they still have formula for a basis, even if it's only developing indexes in their heads for fixed angle landmarks. and for longer shots you know they still look at wind and adjust angle accordingly.

In the end everyone has to use your concept of "common" formulas. If theres against wind you add, lower if tail wind. Luizinho, dragon in gb brasil and ruby in gbna) is 100% feel according to what i just said and hits maybe 95%~ of the time. Although, I agree that MOST top players use formulas as a basis, but not ALL.

--------------------
IPB Image
IPB Image
+Quote Post
ProfessorPap
post Nov 3 2007, 07:31 PM
Post #6

Take that, you silly ox.
Group Icon

In the end everyone has to use your concept of "common" formulas. If theres against wind you add, lower if tail wind.

no, that's my point. unless you know that wind is going to seriously hose your shot, then as a feel player you just pick an angle and visualise it flying along as you hold down the space bar. you either feel the shot battling against the wind, being neutral, or being carried by the wind. (at least that's how i do it when i'm playing feel-slice)

thus, it might be possible to become very good without reading or using even the common formulas like 20-part, 30-part and landmarks.

heh... i have no idea personally because i have such crappily inconsistent feel.

Luizinho, dragon in gb brasil and ruby in gbna) is 100% feel according to what i just said and hits maybe 95%~ of the time.

but according to what you just said he does indeed make wind calculations and has common formulas as a basis, no? i wouldn't call him a feel player unless he's actually explained exactly his process of hitting.
+Quote Post
MaShin
post Nov 3 2007, 07:47 PM
Post #7

Wooden Hammer
Group Icon

About gaining my skills back.. uhm also with formula I have to do that. Speed of calculating and that. uhm I used to be a feel player, at the end its using the fingures to measure and simple wind dividing... i'd rather just use the formulas.

Anyways I don't really mind formula/feel.. I'm gonna use formulas anyways. If you think it's not "pro" enough or something then it's not my problem anymore.

--------------------
4star guild website.

FTC guild forum.
+Quote Post
xDemonessx
post Nov 3 2007, 07:53 PM
Post #8

NOPE
Group Icon

Group: Red Dragon
Member No.: 48
Guild: NEET
Main: TROLL

Clan: None

QUOTE(ProfessorPap @ Nov 3 2007, 08:31 PM) *

Luizinho, dragon in gb brasil and ruby in gbna) is 100% feel according to what i just said and hits maybe 95%~ of the time.

but according to what you just said he does indeed make wind calculations and has common formulas as a basis, no? i wouldn't call him a feel player unless he's actually explained exactly his process of hitting.

pick an angle you "feel" will work best in the wind and the target you may be aiming.

pick a power you "feel" will hit the target.

hold down the space bar or right click hold and drag the mouse to desired power.

angles and powers are subject to change using basic bjsl rules and factors.

--------------------
IPB Image
PSA: WE HAVE A CHATROOM @ IRC.RIZON.NET #GBHQ
USE IT
IPB Image
+Quote Post
ProfessorPap
post Nov 3 2007, 08:00 PM
Post #9

Take that, you silly ox.
Group Icon

mashin, i don't have a problem with you personally nor any formula player personally.

if i wandered into your room i would prolly just leave when i realised i had no chance of matching you hit-for-hit. or if you you were a stranger and came into my room i would prolly ask for the teams to be balanced or kick if you refused. but if i knew you personally and was playing against you i would just try to do my best for a few games and then leave after my ass was sufficiently kicked and i'd had a chance to chat a little.
+Quote Post
Sol
post Nov 3 2007, 08:00 PM
Post #10

Gold Battle Axe
Group Icon

Member No.: 502

QUOTE(MaShin @ Nov 3 2007, 07:47 PM) *

About gaining my skills back.. uhm also with formula I have to do that. Speed of calculating and that. uhm I used to be a feel player, at the end its using the fingures to measure and simple wind dividing... i'd rather just use the formulas.

Anyways I don't really mind formula/feel.. I'm gonna use formulas anyways. If you think it's not "pro" enough or something then it's not my problem anymore.

you can easily do your calculations before it's even your turn...
+Quote Post
ZenythFox
post Nov 3 2007, 09:38 PM
Post #11

Double Metal Axe
Group Icon

Member No.: 25

IGN: ZenythTheFox
Main: Nak, Boomer

Why does this thread topic keep coming up? It's never gonna be resolved or anyone's mind changed. Forms and feel is like the 'turtle' and 'aggressor' style in fighting games. Why does some use a turtle style? Why does someone use an aggressive style? Just because someone uses an aggressive style does that make him a noob or that it's bad because of how they choose to play? Remember, we're dealing with other people who have different thoughts/mindframes then everyone else. So if they use feel, then they use feel. Someone uses formulas, then they use formulas. It's personal preference and each style has it's own challenges and drawbacks. I don't mean to be an ass or anything with this response so don't flip.

--------------------
SHITLIST:

Mercury, GlamorUS, XENO, SOV, Royalz, ThePack

And all those "Pro" guilds who leave when they either miss or when they're about leave. You know who the fuck they are.

All Texans besides Sammy.

(To be updated as more shitty guilds and people are encountered.)

IPB Image
+Quote Post
Sammy
post Nov 3 2007, 10:28 PM
Post #12

I'll sit on you
Group Icon

Member No.: 72

IGN: Sammy
Guild: Pandora
Main: Grub

Clan: Da Hobo Crew

I think there are a large chunk of GB players out there who barely gave Feel a chance. As soon as they realized there's formulas for this shit, they hopped right on it. I kinda don't really have much respect for those guys, and I honestly think they are a significant portion of the community.
+Quote Post
Sol
post Nov 3 2007, 10:33 PM
Post #13

Gold Battle Axe
Group Icon

Member No.: 502

I don't mind people using formulas, but I hate when someone, who is using other peoples formulas, pretends that they made their own forms.
+Quote Post
7slayer7
post Nov 3 2007, 10:38 PM
Post #14

Ci vis pacaem, para bellum
Group Icon

Member No.: 18

IGN: Relentless
GBNA:
Main: Mage/Kal

QUOTE(Sammy @ Nov 3 2007, 09:28 PM) *

I think there are a large chunk of GB players out there who barely gave Feel a chance. As soon as they realized there's formulas for this shit, they hopped right on it. I kinda don't really have much respect for those guys, and I honestly think they are a significant portion of the active community.

fixed.

and i totally agree

=/

QUOTE(Sol @ Nov 3 2007, 09:33 PM) *

I don't mind people using formulas, but I hate when someone, who is using other peoples formulas, pretends that they made their own forms.

or pretends that it's feel

--------------------
"I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair- but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip."
-Patrick Bateman
+Quote Post
MaShin
post Nov 4 2007, 04:46 PM
Post #15

Wooden Hammer
Group Icon

QUOTE(Sol @ Nov 3 2007, 08:00 PM) *

you can easily do your calculations before it's even your turn...

Sometimes you have to change target when it's your turn.

--------------------
4star guild website.

FTC guild forum.
+Quote Post
LichKingg
post Nov 4 2007, 05:02 PM
Post #16

Anime Otaku
Group Icon

Member No.: 732

IGN: LichKingg
Guild: Ivan's guild. (keeps changing name so i'll just leave it @ that)
GBNA:
Main: turtle

QUOTE(Sol @ Nov 3 2007, 11:33 PM) *

in all honesty, i don't think most people use their own formulas. I mean what would happen if only the person who invented banpao is allowed to use it? like every turtle player would get screwed.

--------------------
IPB Image
Waterloo '12 - Math: Financial Analysis/Risk Management
+Quote Post
mutantllama
post Nov 4 2007, 05:17 PM
Post #17

f
Group Icon

Member No.: 520

IGN: Don't play
Guild: I don't play
Main: I TOLD YOU THE FIRST TWO FUCKING TIMES FUCK YOU

Clan: Phonetic Masturbaters

Through out my years of playing I either was 100% feel or 100% aimbot. Lulz.
+Quote Post
StY
post Nov 4 2007, 06:14 PM
Post #18

Double Gold Axe
Group Icon

Member No.: 650

IGN: 5aintY
GBNA:

QUOTE(ywd @ Nov 4 2007, 06:02 PM) *

in all honesty, i don't think most people use their own formulas. I mean what would happen if only the person who invented banpao is allowed to use it? like every turtle player would get screwed.

i think the difference here is between a METHOD of shooting, such as bjsl, fixed power, fixed timing, vs an actual specific chart that some1 made.
+Quote Post
polaris
post Nov 4 2007, 07:38 PM
Post #19

Diamond Wand
Group Icon

Member No.: 545
Main: Helicopter

hmm the only difference i can think of between a good formular and a good feeler is that a formular will be slow if they change targets, while a feeler would be quick, but wouldn't too accurate. eventually if you use feel for a while, you can take shortcuts by memorizing full screen, then 1/2 screen, etc. so that's just becoming efficient.
+Quote Post
GodisaIie
post Nov 4 2007, 10:38 PM
Post #20

GodisaIie
Group Icon

Member No.: 532

IGN: GodisaIie
Main: Kal

QUOTE(ZenythFox @ Nov 3 2007, 09:38 PM) *

. Forms and feel is like the 'turtle' and 'aggressor' style in fighting games. Why does some use a turtle style?

This rly explains it all.

Formula users are commonly more aggresive than the laid-back feel-user

im not saying formula users are uptight, though some can be a pain and need to chill, but they usually have a larger desire to win or be sucessful.

like the colleges these days, you have to be the best to be accepted. and the ones who are willing to give it all they've got and learn things to the fullest are the ones who are going to win.

feel-users just wanna be there and have fun, but still want to win and be successful.

therefore when they find out they can only win nowadays when they go the extra mile, they refuse and tell the formula-users to fuck off

but ima feel user too.....i just realized it doesnt matter and now i play 2moons

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

--------------------
IPB Image
LOOLS OWNED
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th July 2019 - 05:59 PM

Mocha v1.0.3 Skin Designed by
Web Design by Bytech