IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Guests, read this to find out why you can't see most topics any more.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gunbound Idea, Kick NHN out
ybom
post Mar 26 2007, 12:43 PM
Post #1

Gold Axe
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 89

IGN: ybom
Guild: Raoners
Main: raon

Clan: Phonetic Masturbaters

As we all know by now, Gunbound, at least the premise, is a great game.

Softnyx screwed us over, IJJI screwed us over, GBC is ok.

Maybe, just maybe, we have an alternative. Acclaim, distributors of free content like 9Dragons and 2Moons, might take it over if we urge them as a community to look into it...

Acclaim has a great policy of asking the community what they feel are potentially good games to consider. If you have more keep sending. Im pretty sure they will even look into games that are in alpha stage of development also. I had written in once about Rappelz. Sorry to say that Gala-Net got the license to that game, The only publisher I knew to give that game what it needs was Acclaim. Oh well, maybe in a couple years.

That was from the 2Moons forum. I really don't care if they just bypass the whole system and make a flash version within one of their games, I feel it's time for Softnyx to just let go and let a true American company take over, at least for this game.

What do y'all think?

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
7slayer7
post Mar 26 2007, 12:48 PM
Post #2

Ci vis pacaem, para bellum
Group Icon

Member No.: 18

IGN: Relentless
Guild: ACES
GBNA:
Main: Mage/Kal

Clan: The ACES of ACES

u think ijji's just gonna roll over and play dead?

--------------------
"I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair- but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip."
-Patrick Bateman
+Quote Post
mauverick
post Mar 26 2007, 01:14 PM
Post #3

Internet hate machine
Group Icon

Member No.: 31

IGN: mauvecow
Main: Buffalo++

No one is interested in a dated, dying game like GB.

Why? There would be little they could do to interest more people in the game, as most people who have wanted to play it have at this point, and its current reputation of being a shithole would be difficult to surmount and correct for those who have.

GBC may be somewhat better in some views, but scale and professionalism are important concepts to keep in mind and some things would not work so well when working on a higher level commercially. In other words, it may well end up costing them more to properly maintain the game than they would be making off of it, due to that they cannot rely on volunteer work so easily.
+Quote Post
ProfessorPap
post Mar 26 2007, 05:59 PM
Post #4

Take that, you silly ox.
Group Icon

Group: Retired Staff
Member No.: 12

plus as long as GB is licensed from softnyx they're at the mercy of softnyx' decisions and maintenance of the game. it's not like they can just license it and start making whatever (reasonable) changes they want to.

i think evolution is going to have to solve this problem. it's high time for a new ballistics simulation game, either mauvecow's or someone else's.

i like some of the concepts used in this game that's recently been released:
http://z9.invisionfree.com/indygamer/index.php?showtopic=171

- instead of having to play live opponents (well, multiplay is only by hot-seating at the moment anyway) you can also go on solo missions against another squad of tanks.

- feel is much more enforced because you are only given visual information (not numeric) about your angle and power. this seems like a nice idea because it will be harder for people to turn this into a math contest, therefore less chance of armies of kiddies using someone else's math to hit.
+Quote Post
mauverick
post Mar 26 2007, 08:22 PM
Post #5

Internet hate machine
Group Icon

I'm working on it! :P

It's slow going, but it's moving. The worst part is going to be getting all the content pieced together, at this point... Looking like once the client is out of my hands, which should be within a month or two to have a playable game + networking, I'm basically going to be waiting on art and sound while the multiplayer servers get pieced together. Until then it's going to be wheeled boxes duking it out with each other in a silent environment.

Which is sorta Zen-like in a low-budget way.

Maybe I could make it look totally Tronnish or something.
+Quote Post
k3Ck
post Mar 26 2007, 08:50 PM
Post #6

Sober
Group Icon

Member No.: 15

IGN: 5pade
GBC:
GBNA:
Main: Turtle

Clan: The Alcoholic Stoners

QUOTE(7slayer7 @ Mar 26 2007, 01:48 PM) *

u think ijji's just gonna roll over and play dead?

yes

if not, i kill

if Acclaim took GB over...well...i dont know...they are obviously way better (9Dragons & 2Moons...no fucking shit?)

i think it would be good

write to them

spread the word

Acclaims customer service is amazing...i know this, becuz i have spoken to them a few times

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
hellic
post Mar 26 2007, 08:52 PM
Post #7

Mess with the head, and you'll get the shaft!
Group Icon

Member No.: 3

IGN: hellic (Steam)

How is Acclaim at banning abusers?

--------------------
Nothing here to see.
+Quote Post
k3Ck
post Mar 26 2007, 08:55 PM
Post #8

Sober
Group Icon

Member No.: 15

IGN: 5pade
GBC:
GBNA:

Clan: The Alcoholic Stoners

QUOTE(hellic @ Mar 26 2007, 09:52 PM) *

How is Acclaim at banning abusers?

better than ijji

thats all that matters...right?

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Leo Renard
post Mar 28 2007, 01:29 PM
Post #9

Altec Lansing
Group Icon

Member No.: 24

IGN: Diabllo
Guild: Admin
GBC:
GBNA:
Main: Boomer

QUOTE(mauve @ Mar 26 2007, 01:14 PM) *

Why? There would be little they could do to interest more people in the game, as most people who have wanted to play it have at this point, and its current reputation of being a shithole would be difficult to surmount and correct for those who have.

GBC may be somewhat better in some views, but scale and professionalism are important concepts to keep in mind and some things would not work so well when working on a higher level commercially. In other words, it may well end up costing them more to properly maintain the game than they would be making off of it, due to that they cannot rely on volunteer work so easily.

Monthly Internet bill: +$125.00 avg*
Monthly electricity bill: +$85.00 avg
Donations recieved monthly: -$30.00 avg**#

Total amount per month: $180.00 avg per month
x12 = $2,160.00

Annual domain renewals: +$35.80 ($8.95 x 4 domain names)
Annual fetch hosting renewal: +250.00

Total charges per year: $2,445.80

* soon to be around $200.00 for the internet upgrade I'm going to get
** would expect $2000.00+ if we were able to open the Cash shop legally
# would expect $120.00+ once I get Western Union. Tons of Brazillians and Peruvians are willing to donate, but are unable to with PayPal.

That's a rough estimate on how much it will cost me to keep GBC running per year. Imagine with a license. Keep in mind, I do occasional server upgrades as well (such as adding more RAM, another HDD, etc.)

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Jowy
post Mar 28 2007, 02:06 PM
Post #10

A Little Chick
Group Icon

Member No.: 242

IGN: JowydaJew
Guild: Bunge Holes
Main: random

I think I'm going to buy it and run it, because as a fan I obviously know exactly what is good for the game, I know how to run it perfectly, I know what any company should do when attempting to run it, in fact, their entire staff is incompetent, the true genius lies in me, the almighty fan.

At the very least Ijji should hire me, I mean, I could easily improve the game quality 5 times over while probably increasing their profits by 40-50%, my lack of actual credibility in regards to e-business or programming is hardly a detriment compared to the hundreds of hours I've spent on Gunbound.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
mauverick
post Mar 28 2007, 02:17 PM
Post #11

Internet hate machine
Group Icon

The thing is, maintenance of the servers and bandwidth is the cheap part of maintaining any sort of online service. Labor is the expensive part: You have to pay people, you have to do all of the other stuff necessary to employment (e.g: insurance, which is often just as expensive as the actual wages you pay), and so forth. When you can't depend on volunteer labor, the cost of things goes way, way up and it gets much more difficult to make back what you spent on things. And don't forget the costs of marketing, if you want to expand in more ways than word of mouth.

And don't get me started on office costs, if you decide to go that route.

(I've done a lot of research on this stuff for what I'll do when my game is finished... Looking at like 10,000 sales to give me a year's worth of room to get everything together for the next project. Blech.)
+Quote Post
ANBU
post Mar 28 2007, 08:53 PM
Post #12

What is love?Love is playing every game like it's your last
Group Icon

Member No.: 42
GBNA:

Clan: The ACES of ACES

That's a good idea ybom, you can always give it a shot : x
+Quote Post
Leo Renard
post Mar 28 2007, 11:33 PM
Post #13

Altec Lansing
Group Icon

Member No.: 24

IGN: Diabllo
Guild: Admin
GBC:
GBNA:
Main: Boomer

QUOTE(Jowy @ Mar 28 2007, 02:06 PM) *

I think I'm going to buy it and run it, because as a fan I obviously know exactly what is good for the game, I know how to run it perfectly, I know what any company should do when attempting to run it, in fact, their entire staff is incompetent, the true genius lies in me, the almighty fan.

At the very least Ijji should hire me, I mean, I could easily improve the game quality 5 times over while probably increasing their profits by 40-50%, my lack of actual credibility in regards to e-business or programming is hardly a detriment compared to the hundreds of hours I've spent on Gunbound.

You can't just 'buy' a license. You would would have to sign a contract with Softnyx first, THEN pay an unknown amount of money for the the license, for a server that won't profit anyways. You would already have to be a thriving company, such as Mobius, NHN, Asiasoft, GOE.. They all have one thing in common: They are free online-gaming portals that have other games to back them up.

About the ijji part though, if you believe they will hire you, I suggest you apply now. In all honesty, I would apply myself, except I don't meet the requirements of living in the San Francisco or vicinity, and chances are they would know who I am the minute I apply and automatically reject me, which is quite unfortunate. Working as a developer for an online game portal, especially one that involves around GunBound such as ijji, would probably be my dream job, especially since I specialize in the GunBound development department. With all due respect, I would love to work for Softnyx.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Jowy
post Mar 29 2007, 10:53 AM
Post #14

A Little Chick
Group Icon

Member No.: 242

IGN: JowydaJew
Guild: Bunge Holes
Main: random

There is NO WAY I was being sarcastic. I would never do such a thing as mock the dozens of fans that think they know what a gaming company should do. You won't find this Jew spurting any sarcastic remarks, no way.

But yea I guess I would apply too but again I don't live anywhere near there; and I don't speak Korean so I guess I have to keep working for Softnyx without getting paid; other than the cash they send me every once in a while.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
ybom
post Apr 11 2007, 12:51 PM
Post #15

Gold Axe
Group Icon

Member No.: 89

IGN: ybom
Guild: Raoners
Main: raon

QUOTE(Leo The Fox @ Mar 29 2007, 01:33 AM) *

You can't just 'buy' a license. You would would have to sign a contract with Softnyx first, THEN pay an unknown amount of money for the the license, for a server that won't profit anyways. You would already have to be a thriving company, such as Mobius, NHN, Asiasoft, GOE.. They all have one thing in common: They are free online-gaming portals that have other games to back them up.

About the ijji part though, if you believe they will hire you, I suggest you apply now. In all honesty, I would apply myself, except I don't meet the requirements of living in the San Francisco or vicinity, and chances are they would know who I am the minute I apply and automatically reject me, which is quite unfortunate. Working as a developer for an online game portal, especially one that involves around GunBound such as ijji, would probably be my dream job, especially since I specialize in the GunBound development department. With all due respect, I would love to work for Softnyx.

I meant to post this earlier, but Leo I am right there with you. I would love to work for Softnyx and it is essentially my dream job too. I think everyone at GBC sort of wishes they were.

QUOTE(Jowy @ Mar 29 2007, 12:53 PM) *

There is NO WAY I was being sarcastic. I would never do such a thing as mock the dozens of fans that think they know what a gaming company should do. You won't find this Jew spurting any sarcastic remarks, no way.
But yea I guess I would apply too but again I don't live anywhere near there; and I don't speak Korean so I guess I have to keep working for Softnyx without getting paid; other than the cash they send me every once in a while.

I think what Leo was suggesting was for you to be sure you know what you're doing before you get in over your head. The problem is you have never run an e-portal, and they probably wouldn't let you maintain a version of it because of various things. 1) Too easy to consider you a liability, where you would "hurt the fanbase" due to lack of experience, 2) doesn't fit in the business growth plan, unless you offer a lot of money, 3) you said it, you don't speak Korean.

Look, they're happy because they're part of an experience that isn't limited by the KSN. They're obviously going to generate a % more revenue which will give them more leeway to screw up if they see fit. Expanding to America, even if the service is just as crappy, is worth it to them.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Mandu
post Apr 11 2007, 09:00 PM
Post #16

Wooden Hammer
Group Icon

Member No.: 238

Wrong. I see outdated games from the year of 94 coming back (BBtanks/Fortress) and Gunbound also getting licensed over Europe and whatnot. Softnyx just sucks. Look at Trickster, first was given to GameNGame and they fucked it up over due to SSO, and now I believe the Korean parent company is handling it themselves and the update and stuff they been getting is pretty awesome.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th June 2020 - 12:34 PM

Mocha v1.0.3 Skin Designed by
Web Design by Bytech